November 2, 2012

VOTES FOR WOMEN




I am very grateful that I live in a democracy, even with its faults, that allows us to change our government peacefully and without bloodshed if we feel change is needed.

And I am grateful that I live in a country where I can vote without fear of violence, where I can read the ballot, and where my sex does not interfere with any of those things. I will vote so that this can continue.


Ladies, I am talking to you.
Gents, and others, I love you all. But this post is directed to the women.
We join other "minority" groups once again as targets for legislation across the country designed to marginalize us and undermine the civil rights that we have fought so hard to achieve.
We have watched all the momentum gained for civil rights across the board that were gained in the 1960s and 1970s coast to a standstill in the following twenty years as the next generation was born into a much better world. We thought the job was done, that the remaining pockets of racism and sexism were just ignorant or old folks who would die out like the dinosaurs.
Look around you ladies. We have Velociraptors in the House and a T-Rex on your school board.
So I give you some inspirational reminders of days past. These women achieved suffrage for all of us, we owe them.








American Democracy only fails when we fail to participate in it. So read up on the candidates and the issues. And VOTE.

No comments: